The Five Point Corona Walking Kit
The list for governments to do now. And for the public ( so you, me and others) to lobby for:
- Open up streets where people need space to move on foot. In places and spots with many walkers and many cars or cyclists, organize separate ways. Cars sometimes need to make extra detours.
- At crossings with traffic lights: quit the buttons, so walkers get green light automatically. They need not touch buttons. A simple change in the system for engineers, but still many local governments are still not aware (of this necessity).
- Offer much longer green traffic lights to walkers and cyclists, so they don`t form groups waiting and causing distance problems.
- Ask pedestrians what problems they encounter and fix their sidewalks immediately.
- Decide to limit speed: maximum thirty kilometers or twenty miles per hour. And twenty kilometers for bicycles. Many cities and villages have a large majority of the population in favor of speed limitations, all over the world.
Forget measures that are too extreme to many people. Concentrate on practical issues, easy to explain and do not take much time to implement. We face difficult times. A lot of people are in financial or health trouble. They foresee a difficult future for themselves or their loved ones. They feel insecure and hate experiments. Finally, also consider campaigning on this:
- Showing your directions by pointing your hand left or right, as a walker and as a bicyclist. Why not? For many years already obligatory for bicyclists, but is often forgotten. A positive way to make safer places for everybody.
These Tips & Tools are based on my experience as an international expert in walking and a writer, looking around our globe.